Thursday, June 3, 2010

First Friday - Farm Box!

Hello gang-

Tomorrow night is First Friday in Bixby Knolls. Long Beach Local will be on the corner of Atlantic and Bixby for our annual Mock Market.

This week we have Chef Sam Paano from Gourmet Conspiracy doing a demo with seasonal produce and lots of layers of taste. He told me what he was making but I forgot. Hey Sam, What's on the menu this week? Last month he cooked up a delicious stuffed chicken with squash blossoms and fresh veggies and for dessert he served short bread cookies from Shortnin Bread bakery and my Lemon Curd. I talked about that dessert for a few weeks after. YUM!

Shortnin Bread will be there and I hope they will be bringing the Peanut Butter and Jelly cupcakes. Justina stuffs the cupcakes with my homemade Strawberry Jam and makes a Peanut Butter Butter Cream icing. They are amazing!

And Kelli and I will be there with fresh produce. Just enough to hold you over until the Sunday Farmers Market happens on yes, Sunday. This week we are going to try out a $10 flat rate Farm Box. This week's selection will be strawberries, eggs, chives, squash, bush beans, mint and on and on. All the produce is grown locally by us (except the strawberries come from a Long Beach farmer). We use only heirloom seeds, no pesticides and harvest when perfectly ripe. The eggs come from our own chickens, they really don't get better than that. If you would like to pre-order please email me @ sashakanno@mac.com or post in the comments section and I will check it. You can also pay by Paypal, the link is on the right side of the blog page.

We will also be taking names for our CSA that will be happening by mid to late summer. If you are interested in receiving a Farm Box on a weekly or Biweekly basis now is the time to let us know as this program is starting to fill up quickly. Please let me know if you are interested in learning more about this.

And lastly this Sunday and the Sunday Farmers Market I will be there as a vendor. I will be selling my now famous Baker Creek Seed Rack as well as some beautiful flower bouquets. You all know me as a gardener and a farmer but my background is floral design. I am happy to be available to come to market with the season's best. Not all of the flowers are locally grown but hopefully someday soon they will.

Thanks for all the support and for helping to keep our money, food and bodies local. Its nice to stay off the freeway!

See you Friday in Bixby and Sunday at the Farmers Market!
-Sasha